$400K raised for homeless man on GoFundMe is gone, attorney says

Kate McClure left and Johnny Bobbitt Jr. posing for

McClure and D'Amico were ordered by a judge to hand over all remaining funds to Bobbitt by Friday, but that didn't happen - and Bobbitt's lawyer says that's because the money is simply gone.

An attorney representing a homeless man who is trying to recover hundreds of thousands of dollars raised in a GoFundMe campaign that went viral claims he was told that there is no money left.

The story of Johnny Bobbitt - a homeless man who used $20 of his own money to help a stranded woman - began as a feel-good fable about selflessness and compassion.

A judge has ordered McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt to appear at a deposition on Monday. The court had ordered them to account for what they'd spent and put the rest in a trust for the homeless veteran.

Now, Bobbitt's attorney says all the cash raised for him is gone.

But Bobbitt's lawyer, Chris Fallon, argues the couple have failed to deliver on any of their promises. It relied on the belief that there was actually some money to give him.

But Fallon claims the couple's attorney has acknowledged there is no money left, Philadelphia's WTXF-TV reported.

A hearing is expected to be scheduled tomorrow in the ongoing case. GoFundMe's fees were about $30,000.

Since the incident McClure and D'Amico have been on holidays Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Speaking about the allegedly squandered money, Fallon told the Philadelphia Inquirerhe was "completely shocked" when he heard the news, which "came as a complete surprise to me".

In this August 27, 2018 photo released by NBC, Mark D'Amico, left, and Kate McClure speak with host Megyn Kelly on "Megyn Kelly Today", in NY.

Jacqueline Promislo, another lawyer for Bobbitt said the couple's lawyer, Ernest E. Badway, never responded regarding the request to transfer the remaining GoFundMe funds or if the money had been moved, according to the paper. However, Bobbitt said he had not received most of the money and was forced to file a lawsuit to receive the remaining funds.

The $400,000 raised on a Go Fund Me site for a homeless North Carolina veteran is gone, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Bobbitt and McClure crossed paths in October 2017, when McClure ran out of gas on Interstate 95.

A spokesman for GoFundMe said the crowdfunding website "is looking into the claims of misuse regarding this campaign".

Which is to wonder, assuming there is $150K left over, where did the other $250K go in the space of 9 months and who exactly spent it on whom? "We will work to ensure that Johnny receives the help he deserves and that the donors' intentions are honored".

The company also said it is cooperating with the investigation. "Johnny would have preferred to go back to North Carolina".

That would still leave $75,000 to $80,000 unaccounted for, Judge Dow said. "He didn't have any ability to take care of himself there".

Bobbitt also revealed he is back on drugs. The truck ended up breaking down. She didn't have money to repay him at the time, but sought him out days later to give him the money. Bobbitt has also said he fears D'Amico has a gambling problem, something that D'Amico has denied.

D'Amico told the Inquirer that he controls the money but thinks neither he nor his girlfriend did anything wrong. On Thursday morning he said he told a reporter the trusts had been set up because that's what Bobbitt wanted him to say.

The couple has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

Bobbitt admitted to the paper that the couple once gave him $25,000 and he spent it on giving it to relatives and friends, and some on drugs.

Related news: