Man dies after eating raw oysters tainted with 'flesh-eating' bacteria

Мужчина умер от плотоядной бактерии поев устриц

The unidentified 71-year-old man was dining out at an unnamed Sarosta County restaurant earlier this month when he consumed raw oysters believed to have been infected with Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, also known as "flesh eating bacteria."

The man died on July 10 after eating at an unidentified restaurant in Sarasota County, according to the Florida Department of Health.

According to WFLA News Channel 8, the health department said the man had some underlying medical issues.

"The bacterium can invade the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness", the Florida Department of Health said". While most cases are mild, the infection can become serious and lead to limb amputation or death within days of encountering the flesh-eating bacteria. His name has not been released at this time.

The bacteria, called Vibrio vulnificus, is often associated with eating raw or under-cooked shellfish. or entering into warm coastal waters with exposed wounds. About 80% of those infections occur between May and October, when water is particularly warm - ideal for colonies of bacteria to grow and thrive. "We tell everybody regardless of age or immune status that they should avoid eating raw or undercooked shell fish or seafood or avoid or being in the salt water when they have an open wound or lesion on their body", Drennon said.

Florida's health department reports that there have been 16 cases of Vibriosis in the state this year and three patients have died.

This is the first confirmed case of the Vibrio bacteria this year in Sarasota, according to Florida Health. People with liver conditions are much more likely to get severely ill.

In these instances, many people with the infections have to be admitted into ICU, with between 15 and 30 percent of cases proving to be fatal.

Related news: