Supreme Court to pronounce judgement in Nirbhaya Review Petition on July 9

Supreme Court to pronounce judgement in Nirbhaya Review Petition on July 9

The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the death penalty for three men convicted in the gruesome gang-rape and murder of a young woman in 2012. "Urge authorities to urgently execute the death penalty and give justice to Nirbhaya".

The brutality of the crime had led to nationwide street protests and changes in laws regarding sexual violence against women.

"The Supreme Court upholding its verdict is a strong message to those who commit such heinous crimes".

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was attacked on a bus as she and a male friend returned from watching a film in December 2012. She died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital where she was flown to by the government.

In 2017, Amnesty International India had said that India was one of the only 3 countries in the world which expanded the scope of the death penalty by adopting new laws.

"There is more fight ahead, but we have got justice once again".

A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan rejected the review pleas filed by Mukesh (29), Pawan Gupta (22) and Vinay Sharma (23), saying no grounds have been made out by them for review of the verdict.

A lawyer for the men, A.P. Singh, told reporters at the courthouse after the verdict that "injustice" had been done to the convicted murderers - using the Hindi word for "boys" to describe them - and the court had caved to public and political pressure to uphold the death penalty. The bench said that as far as the third dying declaration is concerned, this court has already held that the dying declaration made through signs, gestures or by nods are admissible as evidence.

"Faith in the judiciary has been reinstated".

With regard to the second declaration, the counsel appearing for the convicts submitted that in the police diary there was no mention of it. That ruling came over four years after the chilling incident that took place on the night of December 16, 2012.

The review petitions challenge the judgment of the Supreme Court delivered on May 5, 2017 confirming death penalty for all the four accused.

She was assaulted with an iron bar as the private bus drove loops for 45 minutes.

The main accused in the case, Ram Singh, had allegedly committed suicide in Delhi's Tihar Jail in 2013. Of six assailants eventually arrested, the fifth man died in prison in 2013 and the sixth was a juvenile who served his three-year sentence in a youth offender facility.

Related news: