Media "Grossly Misinterpreted" Remarks On Mumbai Attack: Nawaz Sharif

Backlash over ‘pro-India’ remarks of Nawaz

Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Sherry Rehman on Sunday slammed Nawaz Sharif for his statement on the Mumbai attacks and said it backed Modi's stance.

A group of 10 Lashkar-e-Taiba (LET) terrorists from Pakistan carried out coordinated attacks in Mumbai from November 26 to 29 in 2008, which claimed 166 lives and left more than 300 injured.

It must be noted that Pakistan had been denying involvement in Mumbai attacks despite evidence provided by the Indian government.

All of Pakistan's requests, letters, and announcements regarding the Mumbai attacks have been recorded, which are safe with the FIA, he added. He is actively organising collection of donations in Punjab coinciding with the wheat harvesting season, said a report quoting sources.

Sharif, for the first time, publicly acknowledged in an interview that militant organisations are active in Pakistan and questioned the policy to allow the "non-state actors" to cross the border and "kill" people in Mumbai.

"After all, it was Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who, resisting all pressures, took the most important and most hard decision on national security in Pakistan's history by making the country a nuclear power in May 1998", he said. "It (Sharif's remarks) only proves that India's stand has been right all the way", she said at a press conference, in response to a query. "He was called to Pakistan by a person who is wanted in for terrorist activities in Mumbai". Explain it to me. Nawaz is now ousted from the post of Prime Minister after Pakistan's apex court disqualified him from holding public office on charges of corruption. "Why can't we complete the trial".

Despite repeated efforts, India refused to share those facts and evidence with FIA and the investigative committee formed by Pakistani courts, he claimed. "And they would have to ensure that no terrorist activity takes place". The Indian government lodged a strong protest over his release; however, the Pakistani authorities demanded that India provide incriminating evidence against him so he can be held in jail and tried effectively. "Ajmal Kasab, the only living suspect of the case, was hanged with the investigation still underway", Nisar said. Recently, Pakistan's interior ministry abruptly removed the chief prosecutor from the Mumbai terror attack case for "not taking the government line".

Nisar, in a statement issued on Sunday on "Nawaz's statements and the Indian media's reaction", emphasised that the Indian government was to blame for the hold-up in the Mumbai attacks trial.

Related news: