Oscar De La Hoya training for comeback fight with Conor McGregor

Conor Mc Gregor GSP

De La Hoya, who is almost a decade into retirement, said on Monday that he has been "secretly training" and called out UFC star Conor McGregor.

"You know I'm competitive", De La Hoya said, speaking on DashRadio (h/t The Mac Life). "I still have it in me". I've been secretly training, bro, secretly training. Secretly training. I'm faster than ever and stronger than ever.

"I sincerely apologize for my behavior at last weekends fight event in Dublin", McGregor wrote on Instagram.

'I sincerely apologise to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, Mike Mazzulli, all the officials and staff working the event, Andy Ryan and his fighter John, two stonch ones that put up a great fight every time.

"You will clearly see from the video replay that I only step across and do not wave the fight off. Charlie Ward, understandably so had reeled off in celebration thinking that I had indeed ended the contest and not as I had actually done, called time on what I believed to be the end of the round. Two rounds", he added. That's all I'm going to say.

As you've surely heard, and or seen by now, McGregor has been in hot water, after he flipped out on officials at the Dublin card.

McGregor, 29, was knocked out in the 10th round of that fight, which De La Hoya derided as a "circus" and a "farce".

De La Hoya, 44, has not fought since retiring in 2009.

It is not all that surprising that a world championship athlete as special as De La Hoya would find ways to stay in shape in his retirement.

"Our sport might not ever recover".

ESPN reports that the only way a fight would happen is if McGregor once again agreed to fight in a ring, rather than a cage.

De La Hoya has not fought since dropping a one-sided eighth-round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao on December 6, 2008. "Only in the ring", De La Hoya said.

Oscar De La Hoya has revealed he is training in secret - with a view to fighting Conor McGregor.

FYI, the fatal incident McGregor is referring to occurred in 2016 - and the man who died happened to be fighting Charlie Ward.

"They already sanctioned him (by not letting him fight at UFC 219)", Mazzulli said on The MMA Hour.

"He's a big Irishman", De La Hoya said. The interaction between McGregor and Goddard rehashed an earlier beef from UFC Gdansk last month when McGregor was ejected from cageside in Poland.

And if he does come back, he may already have his eyes set on Conor McGregor. I don't have to come back for financial reasons or the lights or the glamour.

"So I do commend UFC to some extent for doing that".

Related news: