United States flies strategic bombers over Korean peninsula

North Korea hackers steal South Korea war plans

It was part of a "regular deployment training" aimed at enhancing the capability of implementing the "extended deterrence" against the North, the JCS said. -South Korean wartime "decapitation strike" plans against the North Korean leadership. The South Korean defence ministry has so far refused to comment on the breach, which reportedly dates back to last September.

There is no evidence that the hacking attempts were successful, but FireEye assessed that the targeting of electric utilities could be related to increasing tensions between the US and North Korea, potentially foreshadowing a disruptive cyberattack.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un gives field guidance at the Sci-Tech Complex, in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang October 28, 2015.

Senior diplomats of South Korea and the United States will hold a vice-ministerial strategic dialogue next week in Seoul, South Korea's foreign ministry said Wednesday.

They staged a simulated air-to-ground missile firing drill with two F-15K fighters over the East Sea and flew across the peninsula, Yonhap news agency reported.

Visits by US warships and bombers along with regular joint exercises with the South infuriate North Korea, which considers them a sign of aggression and a rehearsal for an invasion.

"I suppose this must be in reference to pre-empting an imminent North Korean nuclear attack", says regional security analyst Daniel Pinkston with Troy University in Seoul.

North Korea has said Trump is "on a suicide mission" against it, with the country's foreign minister calling the US President "mentally deranged" in a speech at the United Nations last month. Kim is the third generation of his family to rule North Korea.

The F-15 escorts are notable "because combined operations require consent from South Korea, so this does not represent US unilateral action", according to Pinkston.

Rhee Cheol-hee, a South Korean lawmaker who sis on its parliamentary defence committee, said 235GB of military documents were swiped from the Defence Integrated Data Centre, adding that 80 per cent of these documents have yet to be identified. North Korea routinely denies responsibility.

Gen. John Hyten, head of U.S. Strategic Command, has stated that the EMP threat is real, but the military appears more focused on North Korea's ballistic missiles and nuclear warheads.

North Korea has yet to comment on either the bombing drills or the hacking claims.

Related news: