Manny Pacquiao Out of Proposed Rematch With Jeff Horn

AUSTRALIA. Jeff Horn of Australia and Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines fight during their WBO World welterweight title fight in Brisbane Australia Sunday

"We have been advised today that Manny Pacquiao. can not return to the ring on Nov.12 as proposed", Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said in a statement.

"Pacquiao is committed to fighting again in 2018 and a rematch with Jeff Horn for the WBO welterweight title", the statement read, as published by the Sydney Morning Herald. The rematch is likely outdo the first fight in ratings for the network and could also line up big endorsement deals for Horn who became a sports hero in Brisbane after pulling off the upset against Pacquiao.

Less than two weeks after it was announced boxing legends Manny Pacquiao and Jeff Horn would meet again in the ring, the former champion has backed out.

Pacquiao was unhappy with the scoring of his shock defeat to Horn in July and struggled against the aggressive Australia's awkward go-forward style.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said her Government was advised today Pacquiao would not be available for the fight.

"Until then, Top Rank, Duco Promotions, TEQ (Tourism and Events Queensland) and Brisbane Marketing will be exploring options".

Having refused previously to fund the fight until the 11-time world champion agreed to return, Cr Quirk said the council were working to bring the pair to Brisbane.

Horn was hoping to get it on with Pacquiao again to settle the issue over the victor of their wild and bruising battle.

"We have a wonderful partnership with Brisbane City Council and the Queensland government and we'd love to have Jeff's title defence there, but we will talk through every detail with Bob Arum", Lonergan said.

Pacquiao had been set for a rematch with Horn on November 12 for the WBO world welterweight title.

Related news: