Day care driver involved in toddler's hot auto death arrested, charged

Day care driver involved in toddler's hot auto death arrested, charged

"I was on the phone with her and she started to scream, 'He's in the van, dead!' " Barbara Livingston, Myles's aunt, told the Orlando Sentinel about the boy's grandmother.

The driver faces charges of aggravated manslaughter and Florida Department of Children and Families have launched an investigation into the nursery.

St. Charles was arrested on Thursday and the Department of Children and Families revoked the operating license for both facilities.

The affidavit said St. Charles did not follow Florida Administrative Code for child care facilities, including reporting in a driver's log that each child, by name, has left the vehicle.

The 51-year-old worked for Little Miracles Academy in Orlando. She was not an approved driver for the center.

DCF officials said anyone who drives a vehicle for a day care facility must meet certain requirements.

The boy's family told News 6 that they dropped him off earlier in the day, and that he's usually home by 6 p.m. After picking up two more children, St. Charles drove to Little Miracles Academy 2 on West Colonial Drive and parked. She remains behind bars on a $30,000 bond, jail records state. Upon arrival, each child should be marked off the log as they exit the vehicle, and the log should be "immediately" signed and dated.

St. Charles then drove to the day care's other location, where she grabbed some belongings from the back of the van before going into work. She closed the back rear hatch and walked into the day care.

Orlando Police Detective Shane Overfield acknowledged in an arrest report that "this negligent act was committed with an utter disregard for the safety of the children she is responsible for transporting during the normal course of duties as a day care service provider and driver of the child care transport vehicle". During the simulation, at about 10 a.m., the interior temperature of the van had already increased to 115 degrees, according to the affidavit.

Temperatures inside the van were as high as 144 degrees at 3 p.m., investigators said. The "unbearable environment" caused Myles' death, according to the medical examiner, who determined his cause of death was hyperthermia. The manner of death was deemed to be an accident, the affidavit states.

Orlando police Chief John Mina said Myles was supposed to have been dropped off Monday morning at another day care center but instead he was taken to the location where his body was later found.

"Tragedies like this can be avoided", Mina said. "It just takes a minute".

Related news: