Anger erupts in Odinga bastions after Kenya poll result

Uhuru Kenyatta wins presidential re-election

Kenyans on Friday were hoping to hear the final results within hours of Tuesday's already disputed presidential election, with President Uhuru Kenyatta holding a strong lead in provisional voting results that opposition candidate Raila Odinga claims had been hacked.

Just before the announcement, a senior official from the opposition said it "wouldn't be a party" to a process he characterized as a "charade" because its concerns had not been addressed by the electoral commission.

Over 400 worldwide election observers - including officials from the United States and the European Union - were deployed across the country to monitor voting, the tallying process and part of the post-election period.

Odinga, a polarising figure who is adored by his supporters, also ran and lost in 2013, and took his complaints about the widespread failure of electronic voting equipment to court.

Commission chairman Wafula Chebukati has said a hacking attempt was made but it failed.

"Having fulfilled the requirements of the law, I wish to declare Hon". Kenya's future is more important than any election.

"We shall continue with the work that we have started", Kenyatta said following the announcement.

On Thursday, the U.S. State Department released a statement encouraging a peaceful approach to resolving any electoral disputes.

They say the unrest broke out after Kenya's election commission announced that President Uhuru Kenyatta had won a second term, defeating Odinga.

Many parts of Kenya, East Africa's commercial hub, remained calm, but the violence stirred memories of the unrest that followed the 2007 vote in which more than 1,000 people were killed. They stated that NASA allies in the IEBC have leaked the real numbers to them, which show that Kenyatta is not ahead by 1.4 million votes as the IEBC's website shows - rather it is Odinga ahead of Kenyatta by 286,298 votes.

In 2007 an opposition coalition led by Odinga disputed the result after incumbent Mwai Kibaki was announced the victor by the electoral commission.

"The world is waiting for the final declaration of the election and the reactions", said Mr, Obasanjo.

Angry protests had erupted in opposition strongholds in Nairobi and the western city of Kisumu, an opposition stronghold on Wednesday, with demonstrators burning tyres in the streets.

In 2007, tallying was halted and the incumbent president declared the victor, triggering an outcry from Odinga's camp and waves of ethnic violence that led to International Criminal Court charges against Kenyatta and his now-deputy, William Ruto. He has not indicated how he will mount any challenge to the results in this election.

The two candidates in the poll belong to two of the country's main ethnic groups, Kenyatta from the Kikuyu, the largest, and Odinga from the Luo.

At least one more person was shot dead earlier in the day in South Mugirango constituency in Kisii County, around 300km west of Nairobi, during a clash with the security forces, according to Leonard Katana, a regional police commander, the AP news agency reported.

Related news: