Officials warn against drinking Moscow mules from copper mugs

Officials warn against drinking Moscow mules from copper mugs

"High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused food borne illness", the bulletin said.

"Mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage".

There may be no other alcoholic cocktail as immediately recognizable as a Moscow mule. Public health officials warned that using those mugs could have unwanted health consequences.

Mugs aren't the only place where copper might be able to leach into acidic foods.

In the advisory, health officials note that, in abiding by FDA guidelines, copper should not come into contact with acidic foods that have a pH below 6. These items include vinegar, fruit juice and the Moscow mule, the pH level og which falls far below the standard.

Copper is commonly used for kitchenware like pots and pans, but it can be unsafe. Copper poisoning can lead to stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting and even yellowing of the skin.

The new warning was issued as the Mule becomes increasingly popularly in social media with users posting photos of the cocktail in attractive mugs online.

Over time, Business Insider says that copper exposure can damage the liver and kidneys.

Not to worry mule fans, many bars and restaurants that serve mules use mugs that are lined on the interior with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel. If you search for mule mugs on Amazon, numerous top sellers are unlined pure copper.

Related news: