Fifth attack on gangrape victim baffles UP Police

Fifth attack on gangrape victim baffles UP Police

In a gruesome act, 2008 gang rape and acid attack victim was on Saturday again attacked with acid at her home in Lucknow's Aliganj.

The latest attack on her ignited widespread condemnation, with critics blaming the Adityanath government for what they said was a virtual breakdown of law and order in Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had visited her at a hospital and announced Rs 1 lakh assistance for the 45-year-old woman.

The repeated attacks on the woman, first targeted with acid in 2011, also indicated the easy availability of the liquid in the state despite a Supreme Court ban on its open sale.

Lucknow: City police are probing charges of another acid attack on a woman who had allegedly been raped by a group of men and attacked at least three times in the past.

The woman was attacked by two unidentified persons at her hostel on Saturday. She was then stabbed in 2012 and faced another acid attack in 2013 and in March, this year.

According to the police sources here, the woman, who worked at a coffee shop operated by acid attack survivors and lived at the hostel, was allegedly attacked with acid when she came out of the hostel on Saturday evening for some work.

A resident of Rae Bareli, Congress President Sonia Gandhi's Lok Sabha constituency, she works in a cafe run by acid attack survivors in Lucknow and lives in the hostel at Aliganj. The two men are facing trials over all the attacks, but they were released on bail in April.

The woman is being treated at King George's Medical University and was said to be out of danger.

"She is in the trauma centre and not in a position to speak", Additional Director General of Police Abhay Kumar told the media. "The victim's family has a long-running dispute with another family in Rae Bareli". Her family has alleged that the attackers are known to the gangrape accused. She is once again attacked by acid.

Women Welfare Minister Rita Bahuguna Joshi described the incident as shocking and unfortunate and said action would be taken after the investigation report.

Earlier, Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Juhi Singh held the state's law and order responsible for the incident.

Related news: