Families ask why arrest in serial shooter case took so long

Maricopa County Sherffis Office

The investigation into the serial killings had focused what authorities said were seven fatal shootings.

A prosecutor says some information about the arrest of a Phoenix man accused in a series of fatal shootings is being withheld from the public because the case remains under investigation.

Castro Garcia, 19, was killed on June 10, 2016. "For one part I'm happy because there's going to be justice in my son's death and others' deaths and that person is not gonna do more damage", Gisela Castro, the mother of shooting victim Manuel Castro-Garcia, told the Associated Press.

Beltran said Pena was friendly with everyone and a devoted son who liked to run, work out and read the Bible. She said her husband and his friends began hanging out in the backyard instead of the front after the shootings.

Smith was seven months pregnant with the couple's child when Verdugo-Sanchez was fatally shot in front of a home.

Authorities in Arizona had their hands on a gun used in a murder that was allegedly committed by a man who authorities now believe is a serial killer responsible for at least nine deaths.

CBS affiliate KPHO-TV reports that Police Chief Jeri Williams said 23-year-old Aaron Juan Saucedo is linked to nine murders and 12 incidents between August 2015 and July 2016, which is three more attacks and two more murders than originally thought.

Police previously said they would pay out a $75,000 reward offered for information that could help solve the case but declined to say how many people would get the money.

Williams said the department had been investigating the link between Saucedo and the shootings for "a month or so", after he was arrested in April in connection with an August 16, 2015 fatal shooting in Phoenix.

There is no known correlation between the victims and the suspect, police said. This photo and sketch combo shows an undated photo provided by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office of Aaron Saucedo, left, and a July 2016 composite sketch provided by the Phoeni. Police say tips from the community resulted in his arrest.

But he says "the investigators never forgot about this case, and these guys just continued following up on leads".

A 23-year-old Phoenix man arrested in a series of shootings in which nine people were killed is proclaiming his innocence.

Two people were injured in the shooting spree, which police said lasted from August 2015 to July 2016.

Police notified all the victims' families Monday before publicly announcing Saucedo's arrest.

It would take almost a year after the final shooting for Phoenix police to make an arrest in the street shooter case, based on a tip from the public.

The court said the defendant was a "fanatical" supporter of IS who had not sought to distance himself from the group during his trial.

He is later believed to have fired at random on complete strangers in the street, killing eight people.

The suspect struck again the next day but did not kill anyone.

The next shooting didn't happen until April 1, 2016, when Verdugo-Sanchez was fatally shot.

Saucedo also allegedly shot at a 21-year-old man and his nephew while they were sitting in their vehicle on July 11, 2016, but neither was injured.

Related news: