Suspect in Facebook video killing shoots himself to death

It wasn't immediately clear where Stephens had been since Sunday. Godwin was walking along a road, when Stephens said, "Finally found somebody I'm going to kill".

"We would prefer that it had not ended this way because there are a lot of questions I'm sure that, not only the family, but the city in general would've had for Steve as to why this transpired", said Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams. After a brief chase, he shot and killed himself.

Facebook said it removed the video of the shooting 23 minutes after learning of it.

Stephens's vehicle does not have a Global Positioning System or any other locator device, he said, and the roughly 400 tips from the public have included scattered, supposed sightings as far away as Texas.

Authorities in Cleveland leading a nationwide search for a man wanted in a random killing that was recorded and posted to Facebook are again appealing to the public for help.

The search for 37-year-old Steve Stephens is entering its third day.

Manhunts can take days, weeks or even years to conclude, he said, and the fugitive is not always taken alive. The shooting video was visible on Facebook for almost two hours before it was reported, the company said.

Before Steve Stephens' death, he was reportedly seen from Baltimore to Philadelphia. Frederick tells he recalls Stephens as nice and jovial, not negative.

"In this case we did not receive a report about the first video, and we only received a report about the second video - containing the shooting - more than an hour and 45 minutes after it was posted", said Justin Osofsky, Facebook's vice president of global operations. The Cleveland Police have yet to confirm the killings.

The search for Steve Stephens, the man accused of shooting a 74-year-old dead on Easter Sunday, ended Tuesday morning when he was found dead inside his auto in Erie, Pennsylvania.

Police wouldn't speculate on what was behind the killing, but previous video's he has posted show him talking about losing everything, gambling and having troubles with his partner.

The police chief said: "We are not going to pinpoint a specific thing and say this is what triggered this, because we don't know".

The company on Monday said it would begin reviewing how it monitors violent footage and other objectionable material in response to the killing. "As a result of this awful series of events, we are reviewing our reporting flows to be sure people can report videos and other material that violates our standards as easily and quickly as possible", Justin Osofsky, Facebook's vice-president for global operations, said in a statement.

Related news: