Steve Stephens, Facebook Live Murderer, Found Dead in Pennsylvania

Law enforcement officials had said on Monday that Stephens' cellphone was last tracked Sunday afternoon near Erie, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) east of Cleveland.

Steve Stephens, the suspect in a murder uploaded to Facebook on Sunday, shot and killed himself in Erie, Pennsylvania, Tuesday, ending a nationwide manhunt.

The suspect who killed a grandfather in OH and posted a video of it on Facebook shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit by police in Pennsylvania on Tuesday.

Local, state and federal authorities were involved in the hunt for Stephens, who was said to be driving a white Ford Fusion with a temporary tag.

The break in the case came when police received a tip that Stephens' auto was in a McDonald's parking lot, Willlams said.

Later in the day, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams officially stated "the search for Steve Stephens has ended".

Stephens told his mom he'd broken up with Joy Lane - the girlfriend he would later blame for the murder in a Facebook Live video - and informed her that "this is going to be the last time you see me", she said. "It was always good things", Lee said.

Wheeler said she followed the chase and saw a trooper clip Stephens' rear bumper.

Stephens also mentioned a woman's name and told Godwin, "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you". The company said that Stephens posted a video of himself announcing his intent to commit murder, then two minutes later posted another video of himself shooting and killing Godwin. He said he "just snapped".

Zuckerberg, speaking at Facebook's annual conference for software developers, expressed the sympathy of company employees to the friends and family of the shooting victim, Robert Godwin Sr.

As authorities approached, Stephens fled and the police gave chase.

Robert Godwin Sr (Facebook/AP) Godwin did not seem to recognise the name.

The Associated Press reported that Stephens' life "appeared to be unraveling under the weight of gambling debts and trouble with his girlfriend".

Investigators also said Stephens might have left the USA, though border officials have been told to watch for him. "I am sorry that all of this has happened".

Detectives spoke with the suspect on Sunday by cellphone and tried to persuade him to surrender, police said.

Related news: