Stockholm attack suspect showed interest in ISIL

The scene in Stockholm. Pic

"I can confirm that a second person has been arrested", Stockholm district court judge Helga Hullman said.

The newspaper Dagens Nyheter said the suspect sought asylum in Sweden several years ago but did not have a criminal record.

In February his case was handed to police to deport him after he had failed to leave the country.

"There is nothing to indicate that we've got the wrong man", Eliasson said.

Two women mourn after they placed flowers on a fence near the department store, Ahlens, Saturday, April 8, 2017, following Friday's suspected terror attack in central Stockholm, Sweden.

Hundreds of flower bouquets covered steps leading down to the square next to where the truck ploughed into the Ahlens department store, with more piled up under boarded-up windows.

He declined to name the suspect, who had been arrested within hours of Friday's attack on shoppers in Stockholm.

On Sunday, several thousand people gathered at Stockholm's Sergel Square to remember the victims.

Eliason also said police found something in the truck that "could be a bomb or an incendiary object, we are still investigating it".

No further information was provided about the raids but Hysing said "the evidence looks very strong" that the Uzbek man was the driver of the truck, which had been hijacked, Reuters reported.

The man, previously known to Swedish intelligence services as a marginal figure with no clear links to extremist groups, is suspected of mowing down pedestrians on a busy shopping street and smashing through a store front on Friday. Another 10 people are being treated in hospital and four of them are in a serious condition.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said he had strengthened the country's border controls, as flags flew at half-mast at parliament, the royal palace, the government offices, and City Hall. Police also said they found a suspicious device in the passenger seat of the auto, though they would not confirm whether or not the device was some kind of bomb, as has been reported in the Swedish media.

Two of those killed were Swedes, one was a British citizen and the other from Belgium, Hysing said of the attack, which echoes the earlier use of vehicles as deadly weapons in Nice, Berlin and London.

More as we get it.

There has been as yet no claim of responsibility for the Stockholm assault.

"We are all devastated by the untimely and tragic death of our talented, compassionate and caring son Chris", the victim's father, John Bevington, said in a statement.

As the investigation of the terrorist attack unfolds, Swedish police revealed new details to the press on Sunday.

Related news: