United Nations says will not enter Aleppo until safety assurances

Russian Federation announced airstrikes on rebel-held areas in eastern Aleppo had been halted from 10:00 a.m. local time (0700 GMT) on Tuesday, as a prelude to an 8-hour humanitarian truce in the city, which will enter into force on Thursday.

Speaking in the wake of the UN Security Council meeting on Monday, Russia's permanent ambassador to the UN, Vitaly Churkin, said that Russia is ready to grant Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, formerly known as Jabhat Al-Nusra, fighters in eastern Aleppo an opportunity to leave the city unharmed if the so-called moderate rebels agree to clearly distance themselves from the hardline terrorist group.

Both Russian and Syrian air raids on the northern city of Aleppo were suspended at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Shoigu said.

The Russian and Syrian air forces halted strikes in Aleppo, for a 48 hour humanitarian pause.

Russian Federation says its forces and the Syrian army will observe a "humanitarian pause" between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Thursday, to allow civilians and militants safe passage out of the city.

Moscow announced Tuesday that Russian and Syrian air forces have stopped bombing Aleppo ahead of a brief truce, a move the Kremlin said showed "goodwill" as it faces mounting criticism for backing a brutal regime offensive.

Al-Farouk Abu Bakr, an Aleppo commander in the powerful Islamist group Ahrar al-Sham, also said the rebels would fight on.

Russian Federation is asking countries that have backed the rebels to help resolve the conflict in Syria by pressing militant fighters to leaeve the city after Moscow ceased air strikes on rebel-held areas in a goodwill gesture, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Tuesday.

Citing "the continued escalation of these war atrocities, as well as war crimes", Seibert said that "all options must be considered, including against those who undertake as well as enable these attacks".

Russian Federation is planning an 8-hour ceasefire for 20 October, meant to allow civilians and al-Nusra Front fighters to evacuate the eastern part of Aleppo via six corridors.

The Turkish leader also says the Turkish-backed Syrian opposition fighters, who have taken the key towns of Jarablus, al-Rai and Dabiq in Syria, are now advancing further south toward the IS-held town of al-Bab.

"The early halting of air strikes is necessary to declare a "humanitarian pause", Mr Shoigu said in a televised statement.

Rebels and many residents have repeatedly rejected the plan.

"But frankly, it's a bit too little, too late", Toner said.

"The goal of this work is to separate the terrorist from the "moderate opposition" and get them out of eastern Aleppo", the minister said.

On Monday, Russia had said the suspension of hostilities would last eight hours and would begin on Thursday.

Since Sunday, airstrikes have killed at least 45 people in two neighborhoods in Aleppo, the AMC said.

De Mistura said earlier that east Aleppo might face complete destruction by the end of the year in the absence of a ceasefire.

Related news: