7 children hospitalized after dental procedures in Anaheim

7 children hospitalized after dental procedures in Anaheim

His parents had taken him to the Children's Dental Group in Anaheim in may for a common procedure called a pulpotomy, also known as a "baby root canal". It can take up to 6 months for the children to develop the abscesses.

Cellulitis is commonly a skin infection that occurs when a certain bacteria enters the skin and breaks it, causing swelling, pain, redness and depending on the location it could cause other infections.

Health officials received reports of children falling ill after undergoing the procedure; eight children showed signs of "slowly progressive oral cellulitis"-a bacterial infection of the mouth". In one case, a 3-year-old boy had to undergo an operation to remove an abscess that was only detected after his teacher noticed his face was swollen.

"Yes, thinking everything's going to go by well, you know, 'you're going to go in and come out, ' but it didn't happen like that", Gibran's cousin, Stephanie Baron told CBS News.

"It's very resistant to treatment and needs to be taken care of quickly", says Dr. Eric Handler, an Orange County Public Health Officer investigating the clinic.

It's enough to make you rethink your own dentist.

The clinic has agreed to stop performing the procedure for now, according to CBS.

Amador's daughter, Nairi, went to the clinic for a routine exam in June when she was given a pulpotomy. Sam Gruenbaum, the CEO of the statewide chain of dental clinics, said the company is trying to identify the source of the infections and conduct follow-up examinations on anyone else who may have been affected.

The dental office boasts unfavorable Yelp reviews, with complaints of poor customer service, untrustworthiness, dirty facilities, and cases of misdiagnosis.

Handler says the risk of infection to the patients now being contacted is considered low.

Orange County health officials have ordered a children's dentist office in Anaheim to stop using the water at the facility for patient procedures after several kids got severe infections.

Related news: